Friday, April 18, 2014

IS THIS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?

My peeps, just got this mail from a female reader and she is asking a serious 'exam' question. With her permission, I have decided to post it and hear your views on her situation.

Dear NHW,

I have been following your posts and must say it is fast becoming addictive for me. You have built so much confidence in me and somehow opened my eyes to a lot of things in my marriage.

I am writing concerning a previous post of yours where you talked about Domestic Violence. I have been married for close to 3 years now but no child yet (waiting on the Lord). I am now questioning the way my husband plays with me.

We or should I say I am the playful type. Before we got married, when playing, me and my husband, we would throw pillows at ourselves and sometimes chase each other round the house. And when he catches me, he would tickle me and slap my face gently, on both cheeks until I beg him to stop.

This kind of play continued until we got married and I noticed that the play has graduated to something else! But despite the change, I will still continue playing along. When he chases me round the house and manages to catch me, he would lift me up and throw me hard on the bed, sometime,  even pushing me so hard against the wall. I would beg him to stop that I am not interested anymore but instead, he will pull my hair and turn me viciously hard against him. By then I would be in pain, begging him to stop. He wouldn't.  He will then sometimes twist my arm so hard until I cried.  I won't lie, I am always scared during this time.

The last one he did, landed me in LUTH. Up till now, I can't really say what happened or how it did. I remember we were playing as usual and then I saw myself outside our one-storey building. I fractured my arms, a leg and hip. He stayed with me through out my hospital admission begging and crying for forgiveness.

After I was discharged,  my parents took me back to their house, saying that our relationship was not a healthy or normal one.

Please, NHW, for my own peace of mind and to know if I should take him back, would you call this his behaviour Domestic Violence?  I need to know so that I don't end up like other women who have died in their marriages.

*Hian, O! I don't know what to answer my love. It's not normal sha. You and him need to see a psychologist fast. And u need prayers too. Some people might think both of you are possessed! *

Over to you my honourable readers...

6 comments:

  1. Sadism/sadomasochism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't go as far as to day you and your husband are possessed but there is definitely a problem there. I think your husband, liek a lot of people, has a fetish; he likes to hurt people. You need to sit with him and find out if there's something you can do to stop him before it goes out of hand. You guys decide on a safe word or phrase which means he has to stop. What ever you do, he needs help. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems it started out harmless but has not graduated to extremely dangerous play. Obviously he needs help but I suggest you run and don't look back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She needs to make a choice between wanting to stay alive or ending up dead all in the name of participating in a play that has become too dangerous enough to land her in a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a believer of sentiments- just ur average realistic female on this planet earth- This is very unhealthy..have u ever thought of this emotional trauma being a good reason for ur inability to conceive?(Stress in all forms can mess up a woman's body system) please seek proper guidance and either u put ur feet down and stop this "rough play" or u continue and eventually get a cracked skull- which would lead to the obvious- ur demise... A word is enough for the wise chic.. Ur life is very precious..guard it jealously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think ur husband needs psychiatric help. His behavior is definitely not normaly and obviously abusive. Its better to be safe than sorry, stay away from him for now!

    ReplyDelete