Monday, August 4, 2014

CELEBRATING BREASTFEEDING WEEK!

Happy Monday to y'all!

I'm sorry I should have mentioned this earlier...August 1 marked the beginning of World Breastfeeding Week. Today is the fourth day and a lot is being said about Breastfeeding. Research has shown that there are a lot of benefits attached to breast feeding. Read here

The joys of motherhood cannot be quantified, not to mention the act of breastfeeding. There is this innate feeling that comes with it...the fact that you are holding your baby and feeding him or her and his or her life depends on that milk which you produce!

So much have been said about this breastmilk, I don't know where to begin. If you are a lay person and worse still a beginner, you will hear things like, "Pour the first milk from your breast away, it's the dirty one!"

Another area of breastfeeding most mothers struggle with, is the duration. People really want to know how long a child can be breastfed. A lot of factors affect duration, not to mention frequency. A working class mother such as a banker, medical doctor in this part of my world cannot breastfeed exclusively for 6 months..not sure how she intends to pull that off! Anyway, apart from the duration of the exclusive breastfeeding, some mothers want to know when a child can be yanked off the 'boobies'. If truth be told, this matter is a subjective one...because I find it totally distasteful watching a fully developed child who walks, talks and even jumps, running to his mummy's side standing and sucking, and I am talking about say a 2 to 3 yr old! If any mum can do a complete year...hmmm, not bad. In fact, commendable. *Me sha, I no fit*

A lot of issues have been associated with breastfeeding...these my ears have heard all sorts! Before the breastfeeding week ends, I hope to address quite a few of these issues. Sincerely, I will try to add videos to the blog based on high demands. People generally want to hear other people's views on stuff.

What can I say? Just stick around!


You can also follow me on twitter @naijahousewife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment